Today, Ofqual has published the outcomes of its consultation on grading this summer’s GCSE, AS, A level qualifications, Extended Project Qualifications and Advanced Extension Award.
The consultation decisions taken by Ofqual include:
- Students will be awarded calculated grades in GCSEs, AS and A levels, the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) and Advanced Extension Award in maths (AEA) this summer
- Private candidates can also receive calculated grades as long as the Head of Centre who made their entry is confident they can submit a centre assessed grade for the student and rank them alongside their other student
- Awarding organisations will standardise centre assessment grades using a statistical model which will include the expected national outcomes for this year’s students, the prior attainment of students at each school and college (at cohort, not individual level), and previous results of the school or college
- An additional exam series will be offered in the autumn (following a consultation, please see below), to provide an opportunity for students unable to receive a calculated grade, and others who would like the opportunity to improve their grade, to take an exam
- The grounds upon which centres and/or candidates may appeal their grades.
Ofqual has also updated the Information to Centres on the submission of Centre Assessment Grades.
We have already provided subject specific guidance to support teachers in making judgements about their students’ assessed grade. Today we have published our comprehensive guide for teachers and headteachers on how to submit centre assessment grades and rank order information to us.
These guidance documents are available on our Secure Website. Centre assessment grades can be submitted to us between June 1st and June 12th.
Our teams remain committed to supporting you during these challenging times. Teachers are should contact our relevant teams with any queries, who will be happy to provide assistance.
Ofqual has also published its consultation on the additional autumn series today which remains open until June 8.